Skip to main content
enIn this

Care assistants and automatic enrolment

Automatic enrolment when you employ a personal care assistant

If you pay for a personal care assistant using your own money, or money provided by your local authority or the NHS, you are an employer and you will have automatic enrolment duties.

Automatic enrolment means you must put certain staff into a workplace pension and pay into it.

Although the duties might seem daunting at first, The Pensions Regulator is here to support and guide you through what you need to do.

We’ll send regular letters and emails (@) to you containing information to help with your duties, including a copy of our ‘essential guide to automatic enrolment’.

You may have someone helping you with your duties, so you should confirm who we should contact to make sure we send the letters and emails to the right person.


We have created an easy to use step-by-step guide on our website especially for employers like you.

By following each step and by using the online tools, it will guide you through what you need to do to complete your duties and by when.

Alternatively, if you use someone to manage your payroll or finances, you might want to speak with them to see how they can help you.

For more information on automatic enrolment duties, go to The Pensions Regulator website: or you can call us on 0345 600 1011

Go Back