On this page
It is essential that staff records, including:
- dates of birth
- National Insurance numbers
- contact details
- amounts paid into the pension scheme each pay period
are correct and up to date as they will be needed to run automatic enrolment effectively.
Checking payroll software
If your client has payroll software:
- check that it's designed to carry out all the automatic enrolment tasks to help them meet their ongoing automatic enrolment duties
- that isn't designed to carry out all the automatic enrolment tasks, your client should consider updating their software, read our page on working with clients without compatible payroll software
- they can ask their payroll or pension provider if they have a checklist of the information they’ll need and the tasks to carry out
You should also make sure that:
- your client’s payroll software or process will work with their pension scheme to allow easy transfer of data between the two, see our page on checking payroll software supports automatic enrolment
- if someone else manages your client's payroll, ask them to check and confirm the payroll software or process will work with the pension scheme
- your client understands what tax relief method their pension scheme uses and ensure that the correct method is input into the payroll software
See our “Quick guide to setting up payroll (PDF, 179kb, 4 pages)” for more information.
Once you've ensured your client’s payroll process works with automatic enrolment, it will help your client to be ready to pay contributions into a pension scheme and send data to their pension provider on a regular basis. It will also help them to enrol staff as they become eligible.
This resource may help if you have more detailed questions on the above:
- Detailed guidance 2:.Getting ready (PDF, 141kb, 37 pages)
What steps an employer can take to prepare for automatic enrolment including setting up a payroll
- Detailed guidance 9: Keeping records (PDF, 97kb, 13 pages)
Read detailed guidance on how the employer and pension scheme must, by law, keep certain records.
See related content
Raising your client's staff awareness about automatic enrolment
Your client's staff will probably want to know how automatic enrolment applies to them.